Ep. 50: Becoming a Chess Master feat. NM Nick Figorito
November 20, 2022
Long Island Chess Club
The Chess Angle is sponsored by Chessable. Check out a list of our favorite courses!
Nick Figorito is a member of the Long Island Chess Club who recently earned the title of National Master (USCF 2200). In this episode, Nick shares his journey to Master, busts some common chess improvement myths, and offers some additional insight. Nick can be reached at email@example.com. Some of our talking points include:
- Is there a "formula" or systematic study plan to achieve a Master rating?
- Can anyone make Master?
- Nick's surprising viewpoint on opening theory
- Why he hates the Najdorf Sicilian
- Chess improvement while working full-time
- Nick's belief that simply "not blundering" may boost your rating more than any other strategic or tactical approach